This will blow your head off! One of the best pies you will wrap your lips around.
Medium | 30 mins Prep | 30 mins Cook | 4x Pies
- Chopped leftover brisket seasoned with 50/50 Backyard BBQ/Oz Dirt (smoked)
- 3/4 diced onion
- 3x garlic cloves diced
- 5x thin small baby carrots diced (I used the mixed colour ones at Costco)
- 1x small potato diced
- 1/4 cup SBR sauce or my homemade BBQ sauce
- 3x tbsp Worcestershire sauce or the relish version (see below)
- 1/2 cup of beef stock
- 1/2 cup of the brisket Au Jus from the cook
- 1/2 cup Greens gravy granules (blended with hot water)
- 1.5 dill pickles diced
- 1x tbsp American mustard
- Tsp of white sugar
- 8x American cheese slices
- Puff pastry for lid
- Shortcrust pastry for base
- 1x egg (beaten)
- Pepper or BBQ rub for lid
The Easiest Homemade Shortcrust Pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 75g butter, diced
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
- Sift 225g plain flour into a large bowl, add 75g diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Or use a food processor.
- Then slowly add in milk until mixture starts to clump together and you can start to form dough balls. Stir in a pinch of salt or Oz Dirt rub
- Add some finely chopped rosemary to the dough mixture and give a final mix.
- Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface.
- Wrap in cling film/cling wrap and chill while preparing the filling or overnight if possible
- chop pre smoked brisket
- finely dice onions and add to low heat pan with oil and sautée
- add garlic, carrot and potato. Once potato starts to become translucent, move to next step
- add beef stock and gravy
- reduce by half
- add brisket
- add approx 1/2 cup of SBR sauce (or any good BBQ sauce like my homemade version) and worce
- once mixture has reached a thick pie like consistency remove from heat
- utilise shortcrust pastry for bottom of pie and puff for lid
- pour pie mixture into pie tin with shortcrust pressed into tin
- add approx 1 tbsp of diced Vlasic pickles mixed with mustard and white sugar on top of pie mixture (per pie)
- add slice of American cheese on top or two ;)
- place puff pastry lid on top and close together with bottom
- sprinkle sesame seeds on the lid and season with cracked pepper and/or a pinch of Oz Dirt rub
- cooked indirect on the BBQ or oven at approx 200C/392F until pastry is a deep golden brown. If cooking with charcoal, slide the pie tin over the coals for 2-3 mins to crisp up the bottom
**The Kogan deep dish pie maker is what I used to make the pie in the main image.
**add some sliced chili for a gentle kick
If you have any questions, tips or tricks on the recipe we would love for you to leave a comment below.