Buffalo chicken wings that are quick, easy and crispy.
Buffalo chicken wings would have to be one of the most satisfying comfort foods on the planet. Everything from the crispy skin to the hit of vinegar in the buffalo sauce screams flavour!. We can promise you this simple recipe should not be underestimated as your friends and family will be asking you to make them at every gathering.
* Makes 2kg of chicken wings
** Disclaimer: all measurements are approximate, as that is normally how we run this recipe.
Blue cheese sauce:
- 3x heaped tbsp of sour cream
- 50gm/1.8oz of blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- heavy pinch of chicken salt
- 1.5 cups Franks hot sauce
- 2x tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cholula
- 50gm/1.8oz of butter
- splash of BBQ sauce or ketchup
- a little smoked paprika works too, but not mandatory as we have plenty of party time in the chicken breading
Dry/wet ingredients for chicken:
- 1x cup of self raising flour and corn flour
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 6x tbsp ground pepper
- 1x tbsp mustard powder
- 1x tsp ginger powder
- 2x tbsp AUSSIEQ BBQ Oz Dirt seasoning
- 400ml/17 US fl oz of buttermilk (400ml milk and 2 tbsp vinegar)
- 2x egg whites
- 2x tbsp vodka (optional)
- brine chicken in buttermilk mix overnight if possible.
- mix dry ingredients in a large ziplock bag (flour mix should have a red tings with black flecks from the pepper) and toss chicken through until fully coated, then place to one side.
- add the buffalo sauce ingredients into a sauce pan on low, and stir periodically until it thickens. This should take approximately 15-20 mins.
- now add your white sauce ingredients into a blender until it forms a thick liquid
- we are up to cooking the chicken. Because we have done everything else in advance, simply heat your deep fryer or pan with oil to 180C.
- carefully lower chicken pieces 3-4 at a time into the oil.
- remove once a dark golden brown and internal temp is 170F.