Béarnaise Sauce is considered by many to be one of the most indulgent sauces to serve with steaks. A variation of Hollandaise sauce, one of the 5 “mother sauces” in classical French cookery, it has a reputation as insanely difficult to make by hand. But this recipe uses a much simpler method by using an electric blitzer - and only takes a few minutes to thicken.
Béarnaise Sauce – world’s best steak sauce
John from AUSSIEQ BBQ
Béarnaise Sauce is considered by many to be one of the best sauces to serve with steaks and even fish. A variation of Hollandaise sauce, it’s extremely difficult to make by hand. But this recipe uses a much easier by using a stick blender that yields exactly the same result – in 2 minutes flat!
2 bay leaves
2 shallots finely diced
1/4 cup tarragon leaves chopped
2 tbsp chopped parsley or chervil
250ml dry white wine
250ml white wine vinegar
4 egg yolks
1 cup of ghee
Into a medium heated pan add wine, white wine vinegar, shallots, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves, 80% of the tarragon
Reduce by half and add a pinch of salt
Sieve wine solution so you have approx 250ml of liquid remaining. Then place into fridge for 5-10 to slightly cool
add egg yolks and wine solution into a tall receptile like a nutribullet cup
Slowly drizzle the ghee into the solution whilst blending with your stick blender
after 2-3 mins it should start to thicken up. If it remains extremely watery, place in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time between blending until you reach a thick paint like consistency
Add the remaining tarragon and a dash of salt and pepper to finish
1. Not just steak: Bearnaise is amazing as a decadent burger sauce, fish accompaniment or with eggs benedict
2. Tarragon: The hero of this sauce os fresh tarragon. Any good supermarket will stock it in the fresh herbs section. DON'T SKIP IT ;)
3. Shallots: The subtle sweetness of these is much preferred over white or brown onions
4. Leftover egg whites: Use the egg whites to make a killer frittata the next day for brekky!
5. Longevity: No hard and fast rule here, but if you use a sterilised and airtight container you can punch out to two weeks easily.
- Serving Size
- 1 tbsp
- per serving
- 8.5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 42 milligrams
- 97 milligrams
- 0.5 grams