Lift your bacon game to the pinnacle.
AUSSIEQ BBQ VIDEO ON THIS COOK:
Making bacon at home is easy, tastes amazing and is actually cheaper than packaged bacon!
Like anything in life, the better the produce the better the end product will be. If you can source an amazing piece of beef or pork for this bacon adventure your are going to be ahead, but if you are grabbing a piece of belly from your local supermarket you are in for a treat. We have done ALL testing, photography and videography on supermarket pork belly and our local butcher for the beef. we understand that a majority of people will make their bacon from supermarket produce, and this recipe works great on either.
As shown in the image above, you can achieve amazing results in a smoker, oven, gas BBQ or even an airfryer!
INGREDIENTS (BASED ON A 1KG PIECE)
- 1kg pork belly or 1kg beef navel or 1kg beef brisket (you can remove the rind at this point. If you like rind on bacon, simply leave it on)
- 5-6 tsp of AUSSIEQ BBQ Macon' Bacon Cure
- Smoker, Airfryer or Oven (best results on a smoker)
- Fruit wood like cherry for your smoker
- Apply an even coat of Macon' Bacon to all sides of your protein
- Vac seal the belly or place in a zip lock bag and refrigerate for 7 days. During this time you should flip once per day to ensure even penetration of the cure
- After the 7 days has elapsed you should remove from the fridge and wash off the cure under low pressure cold water then pat dry. Place on a wire rack with a tray underneath within in your fridge for 24 hours (optional step)
- Smoke at 250F/121C for approximately 2-3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 150F/66C. Then you can store in a container for up 10 days or vac seal to extend the longevity
- When you are ready to eat (probably straight away!) slice as thick as you want and pan fry, grill or however you enjoy your bacon.
If you have any questions, tips or tricks on the recipe we would love for you to leave a comment below.