make your own big mac burger at home.
The history of the Big Mac dates back to 1967 when McDonald's franchisee Delligatti invented the larger burger for the local steel mill workers.
The Big Mac consists of two (45.4 g) beef patties, "special sauce", iceberg lettuce, American cheese, pickles, and onions served in a three-part sesame seed bun. But today we are going to blow that out of the water.
My homemade Big Mac recipe has to be one of my favourite ways make up a burger, as it’s not only super easy to make and delicious, it’s the perfect size to manhandle and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to make.
- 1.5 Aldi seeded brioche buns
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- diced white onion
- Vlasic dill pickles
- 182gm of beef mince (exactly double the weight of standard Big Mac)
- American cheese
- Backyard BBQ seasoning for patties
Big Mac Special Sauce:
- 1 cup Mayo
- ¼ cup Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 ½ tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- pinch of white sugar
- Toast your buns, then place to one side (preferable on a wire rack so they don't get soggy)
- on a screaming hot pan or BBQ hotplate, cook the patties (form them up so they are approx 10% bigger than the bun (to allow for shrinkage AND season with Backyard BBQ or Oz Dirt)
- the correct way to assemble is as follows: (minus 300kg of lettuce) i) bottom bun, ii) sauce, iii) onion, iv) lettuce, v) cheese (10 seconds in the microwave to slightly melt), vi) patty, vii) bottom bun (slice thinly), viii) sauce, ix) onion, x) lettuce xi) pickles xii) patty, xiii) bun
- Blend all the sauce ingredients together until a smooth texture forms. You could make a larger batch and store it in one of the $1 empty sauce bottles you buy from Coles.
If you have any questions, tips or tricks on the recipe we would love for you to leave a comment below.